CITY OF ANTIOCH DROUGHT MANAGEMENT PLAN
Please call our drought hotline, 925-779-6140, for more water conservation and drought program information or to report water waste or drought violations.
On May 12, 2015, the City Council passed by resolution new drought management measures and approved implementation of Stage III of the City’s Water Shortage Contingency Plan adopted in June 2011 as part of the City’s Urban Water Management Plan:
- During Stage III of a water supply shortage, the shortage is deemed severe at 20% to 35%, and conservation consists of allotments and mandatory conservation rules.
- This phase becomes effective upon notification by the City that water usage is to be reduced by a mandatory percentage.
- Violations of prohibited activities are punishable by fines of up to $500 for each day in which the violation occurs.
The City of Antioch’s Drought Management Regulations and Water Conservation Mandates as adopted by City Council on May 12, 2015, create water reduction mandates of 28% for each account based on 2013 usage per month. Your 2014 use is not being considered, as customers were under voluntary reductions at that time. In addition to the 28% reduction in water consumption, there are water uses that are now prohibited:
Water Use Prohibitions
- Watering of outdoor landscapes in a manner that causes excessive runoff such that water flows onto adjacent property, non-irrigated areas, private and public walkways, roadways, parking lots, or structures.
- Watering of outdoor landscapes during and up to 48 hours after measurable rainfall.
- Watering of outdoor landscapes more than three days per week as follows:
- If your property has a street number that is odd (ending in 1, 3, 5, 7 or 9), the assigned days to irrigate are: Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday
- If your property has a street number that is even (ending in 0, 2, 4, 6, or 8), the assigned days to irrigate are: Wednesday, Friday, Sunday
- Watering of outdoor landscapes during the daylight hours of 9:00 am – 5:00 pm.
- Washing a vehicle, trailer or boat using a hose without a shut off nozzle.
- Washing paved or other hard-surfaced areas, including sidewalks, walkways, driveways, patios, and parking areas.
- Use of water for non-recirculating decorative fountains or filling decorative lakes or ponds.
- Using a hose without an automatic shutoff nozzle.
- Failing to repair a controllable leak.
Non-Residential Customers- In addition to the prohibitions above, the following prohibitions apply to commercial customers:
- Serving of drinking water other than upon request in eating or drinking establishments, including but not limited to restaurants, hotels, cafes, cafeterias, bars, or other public places where food or drink are served and/or purchased.
- Operators of hotels and motels shall provide guests with the option of choosing not to have towels and linens laundered daily. A notice shall be prominently displayed in each bathroom.
Fines for Violations of Prohibitions
Please note, at this time, there are no fines or penalties (outside of having to pay for the water you use) for not reaching the 28% mandatory reduction. Citations can be issued for failing to correct violations of prohibitions above (infractions under the Antioch Municipal Code, and in accordance with State penalties) and will be as follows:
Fine for first violation: $100.00/day
Fine for second violation: $200.00/day
Fine for third and subsequent violations: $500.00/day
Good Drought Program Water Practices
Visit www.h2ouse.org for room-by-room and outdoor use tips on conserving water. Additionally, information is available on CCWD’s home page at www.ccwater.com. CCWD offers a variety of incentives and rebates to customers. The City of Antioch is a retail customer of CCWD, and Antioch residents are eligible to participate in these incentive programs. For more information, go to www.ccwater.com/conserve/. Examples include:
- Free conservation site surveys
- Rebates for water-efficient clothes washers
- Coupons for mulch for use in landscaping
- Lawn to Garden: $1.00 per square foot of lawn replaced with water efficient landscaping (maximum rebate for single family is $1,000 and pre-approval is required before you start).
- Coupons for carwashes using recycled water
- Sign up for the Water Saver e-Newsletter at www.ccwater.com/conserve/
Antioch Water Account Information
The City does require deposits on most accounts, both residential and commercial. These deposits are refundable upon termination of the account, less outstanding charges, or after 18 months of maintaining the account in good standing at which point the deposit will be credited to the account. Allow up to three weeks for deposit refunds.
Water service connections and/or disconnections will occur within two (2) business days but no more than two weeks in advance. We are unable to accommodate same day requests. There is no weekend or holiday service.
Payments for water service may be made at City Hall at the First Floor Customer Service Counter, at a conveniently located drive-up drop box located in the City Hall parking lot, or using our online payment service. Payments may be mailed to the City of Antioch, PO BOX 6015, Artesia, CA 90702-6015
To open an account, or to inquire on an account, or inquire about our online service, please call on our Customer Service Representatives at (925) 779-7060. We can also provide help on reading your meter or determining if you have a water leak.
Water rates and monthly maintenance charges are set annually by council action and are available in the City of Antioch Master Fee, which is available on the finance page of the City’s website, and at the Antioch Public Library.